Shooters Haven Firearms and Training
Gun Shop Hours – Wednesday thru Saturday 1pm-`6pm
Training Center hours Thursday and Friday are 5pm-9pm and Saturday and Sunday are 9am-1pm
As of 8/15/2022 Our regular phone number,(315) 751-5559, will stay the same. We have added a new phone number (315) 780-0100, for scheduling calls only. Our regular number, (315) 751-5559, is for questions and scheduling will not be addressed in this line.
The Latest News; PLEASE READ!!!!
As always Shooters Haven tries to bring the most current information to our students. I hear everyday how much our students appreciate us and we them.
In order to obtain an Unrestricted NYS Concealed Carry Handgun License after 9/1/2022, you will need to complete 16 hours of in-person live classroom instruction, pass a written test with an 80% or better, complete 2 hours of live-fire training, and demonstrate safety & proficiency by successfully completing a live-fire assessment.
Many Instrtuctors are trying to teach the old courses as the new course and that is not the proper information. The laws have changed, do NOT be fooled into thinking that the NRA or USCCA Courses taken in the past are the correct information for your NYS Course. Without the new laws section the old courses are not acceptable. I am very surprised that these instructors are trying to pass this off.
In the new application put copies of prior training as the Judges have the option of accepting either all of or part of that prior training.
If you already have a NYS Concealed Carry License, you DO NOT need to take the 16-hours of classroom training (unless you have a pistol license issued in New York City or Westchester, Nassau, and Suffolk counties). However, as a NYS Concealed Carry License Holder, understanding the new laws is your responsibility. Current NYS Pistol License holders will also benefit from this training.
Shooters Haven offers both 16 hours of in-person live classroom instruction and 2 hours of live-fire training. Shooters Haven Instructors are Duly Authorized Instructors as defined in NY Penal Law and our curriculum exceeds the minimum standards for New York State Concealed Carry Firearm Safety Training as defined by NY Penal Law 400.00(19), the NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) and the Division of State Police (DSP).
Shooters Haven has divided the 16-hours of in-person live classroom instruction into four 4-hour sessions. Required topics are as follows:
Session 1: General Firearm Safety, Safe Storage, Suicide Prevention, and Best Practices When Encountering Law Enforcement.
Session 2: Situational Awareness, Conflict Management, Conflict De-escalation, and Use of Deadly Force.
Session 3: Basic Principles of Marksmanship – (you will get hands-on experience using SIRT Training pistols in this session).
Session 4: State & Federal Gun Laws, Sensitive & Restricted Places, Review of Required Topics, Written Test.
Shooters Haven will also conduct, and provide firearms and ammunition for, the required Live-Fire Training.
Live Fire Training: Range Safety, Holster Safety, Dry Firing, Safe Loading/Unloading, Safely Discharging a Firearm.
You will need to complete all four sessions AND our 2-hour live-fire range training program before you receive the Certificate of Completion which is required for you to apply for your NYS Concealed Carry License.
- If you have taken a NYS Handgun Safety Course with us since 7/1/22, and you have not received your NYS Concealed Carry Handgun license, we will credit you $50.00 towards the new courses.
- You must attend the entire session, or you will not receive credit for the session.
- If you are more than 10 minutes late to class, you will not be allowed to attend the class. Please be on-time (or early) for class.
- Reschedules must be made with at least 7 days advance notice. If you do not show for a class, you will need to pay for the class again. THERE WILL BE NO REFUNDS OR CREDITS, so please make sure you schedule times you can attend.
We believe in training for firearm owners, but we also recognize these new requirements are extensive, time consuming, and a financial burden. If you think our elected officials could have done better, please let them know that with your vote in November.
Please register and PREPAY to guarantee a seat. Please be sure of the dates/times you register for. We do not issue a refund. Please be ontime, if you are 10 minutes late you will be unable to attend.
*Payment will only be accepted by Cash or Card, no personal checks.*
Welcome to Shooters Haven!
We are Firearms Instructors with more than 40 years experience as well as a licensed FFL (Federal Firearms Licensed Firearms Dealer). We do special orders however there are no refunds under any circumstances so please know what you are ordering and make sure your receipts is for the correct piece.
Because we are a Training Facility as well, we cater to our students which are mostly conceal carry license holders. This is a bonus for them because we not only have the “Carry” experience we sell the firearms that are best suited for CCW.
We are educators first and feel it is our responsibility to properly train our students in Firearm Safety and proper usage of their firearms.
Each of our Instructors has different skill sets and experience. Together we bring these perspectives to our teaching (please see more than one way to skin a cat). Please take a look at our Staff Page for more information.
It has been brought to my attention that new people do not know of some of our policies/benefits so I thought I would mention them here. We provide many free services to our students;
- Unrestricted licenses are one of the most important things you can do for yourself and your family. With the Supreme Court decision on 06/23/2022 you may just request an unrestricted license. No just cause is necessary.
- Any student that pays for a course other than the new Basic Safety Course, may attend that same course at no charge 3 more times including live-fire courses within a 6 month period (yes, we like to shoot also). I do not believe anyone can retain all the information with a one time visit and repeating the course is your best option for actually learning the information.
- Any student that has a child between the ages of 12- 20 may have that child attend a class (except the basic course, live fire and laser courses) with you at no charge as long as there is room. If you/they want a Certificate for the course they must pay for the course however attending is free for the child otherwise. Remember that the NYS Course Certification is good for 3 years. No other Course has an expiration.
Ok, let’s get started
With backgrounds in Un-Armed and Armed Security, Personal Bodyguard work/Concert Security, Competition Shooting, and Martial Arts we are uniquely informed, available and passionate about what we do! Things are changing out there very quickly and the time for you to acquire your pistol licenses and firearms training is now! We are always adding new courses so please keep a sharp eye on our schedule…
Information on courses we offer as well as schedules, pricing and articles are available on the site and are current. We are located in East Syracuse, New York, however we do travel to other locations and teach classes in 5 Counties (Onondaga, Oswego, Madison, Jefferson and Cortland) presently along with several other areas when requested.
We recently reformatted our virtual training (laser pistols) course with Laser pistols to simulate live fire. The new format includes much more “hands on” with the basics.
While accuracy is very important it is only one factor that saves your lives. Picture this, one guy is extremely accurate and another is very fast. Each has their skills however in a contest between them who do you think would win when it comes to a close quarters contest? Since in a practical/critical situation most of these situations takes place inside of 7 yards (and almost always a lot closer) speed would be the factor that wins the day. In the time the accurate guy draws and aims the faster shooter has hit him several times. This is the premise for the laser course, defining the draw and developing speed.
This has never been seen or used here in Central New York. These courses build your confidence with respect to carrying and handling of your firearms as well as decision making in critical situations. These courses help you build confidence when carrying your live firearms as well as drive you back to Shooters Haven for our live-fire courses.
We also have several live-fire classes. These build on skills developed in the lecture and laser courses to further develop hand/eye coordination and decision making. We presently have Handgun as well as Shotgun and Rifle Courses available.
Private lessons for those of you looking for one on one training. Those looking to learn proper technique and develop a sound platform in self-awareness and your ability to defend yourself in a more personal private setting will gain quickly.
We have a vested interest in you attaining your unrestricted pistol license and furthering your shooting experiences. Remember that of the 20 or so local instructors only 2 or 3 offer courses beyond the basic course so once you have completed their basic courses you have no where to go for more training with them.
We are approved to teach the New York State Pistol Safety Course for Onondaga, Oswego, Jefferson, and Madison Counties. Contact us for your NYS pistol safety course.
Courses we offer;
- NYS Basic Pistol Safety Course- Counties.
- NRA Basic Pistol Course
- NRA Shotgun Course
- NRA Inside the Home Protection
- NRA Virtual Training Pistol Course
- NRA Defensive Pistol I, II and III Qualification Courses
- Multi-State Courses- NYS, Arizona, Florida and Utah courses.
- Conceal Carry Weapons I, II and III Courses
- Defensive Handgun Courses I and II
- Article 35 “Use of Force”
- Private lessons in Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun
- Tactical Pistol and Shotgun Courses- Day Course
- Beyond the Range I, II and III Laser Pistol Training Courses.
Most of these courses are presently active, if you do not see a course scheduled please ask!
Thank you and stay safe!
You will find our latest announcements to keep you up to date on what’s new and available. You can request to register for any course through our online form, and of course, don’t hesitate to contact on our training team should you have any questions at either 315-751-5559 or email@example.com.