Shooters Haven Firearms and Training
Shooters Haven’s Address:
221 West Manlius Street
East Syracuse, NY 13057
Gun Shop Hours Wednesday – Saturday 1pm-6pm
*****While I think our media has blown this all out of perspective and that the Flu and H1N1 was a lot more serious we have to comply with the law ever the part that is unconstitutional for now at least.****
We will not be holding any courses until at least the 14th of April. Those of you who have paid upfront for your classes will be given preference once we are allowed to teach again.
We are not going anywhere and will still hold classes for those of you that feel well and want to attend.|******
Welcome to Shooters Haven!
We are Firearms Instructors with more than 50 years experience as well as a licensed FFL (Federal Firearms Licensed Firearms Dealer).
Because we are a Training Facility, we cater to our students which are mostly conceal carry license holders. This is a bonus for them because we not only have the “Carry” experience we sell the firearms that are best suited for CCW.
The Training Center will continue as always. In 2020 we will be focusing more on our courses updating and adding new courses.
Each of our Instructors has different skill sets and experience. Together we bring different perspectives to our teaching (please see more than one way to skin a cat).
It has been brought to my attention that new people do not know of some of our policies/benefits so I thought I would mention them here. We provide many free services to our students;
- Anyone gets assistance with their “Just Cause” letter (a consult not a review). You do not have to be a student. We have many ask for this service that are students with other instructors.
- If you want assistance with the letter a nominal charge of $200.00 will be billed to you. We have assisted with well over 500 letters and have the most experience of anyone local including attorneys. We have heard horror stories about attorney’s and other instructors charging up to $3,000.00 with no guarantees and some that do not finish the letters.
- Unrestricted licenses are one of the most important things you can do for yourself and your family. I like to say “when was the last time you were mugged in the woods” to students that just want a Sportsman’s License or are just getting their licenses for their “home”. You of course need a little extra work and while there are no guarantees there are things you can do to help your case..
- Any student that pays for a course may attend that same course at no charge 5 more times including live-fire courses within a 6 month period (yes, we like to shoot also). I do not believe anyone can retain all the information with a one time visit and repeating the course is your best option for actually learning the information.
- Any student that has a child between the ages of 12- 20 may have that child attend a class (except live fire and laser courses) with you at no charge as long as there is room. Remember that the Course Certification is good for 3 years. If you/they want a Certificate for the course they must pay for the course however attending is free for the child otherwise.
- We are available by phone and email well before and well after our normal hours.
- We are available for questions after most other instructors have gone to sleep and if we are awake we answer the phone personally not some machine.
Ok, let’s get started
With backgrounds in Armed Security, Personal Bodyguard work/Concert Security, Competition Shooting, Martial Arts and Hunting we are informed, available and passionate about what we do! Things are changing out there very quickly and the time for you to acquire your pistol licenses and firearms training is now! We are always adding new courses so please keep a sharp eye on our schedule…
Information on courses we offer as well as schedules, pricing and articles are available on the site and are current. We are located in East Syracuse, New York however we do travel to other locations and teach classes in 5 Counties (Onondaga, Oswego, Madison, Jefferson and Cortland) presently along with several other areas when requested.
We recently added a new virtual training (laser pistols) course with Laser pistols to simulate live fire. While accuracy is very important it is only one factor that saves your lives. Picture this, one guy is extremely accurate and another is very fast. Each has their skills however in a contest between them who do you think would win when it comes to a close quarters contest? Since in a practical/critical situation most of these situations takes place inside of 7 yards (and almost always a lot closer) speed would be the factor that wins the day. In the time the accurate guy draws and aims the faster shooter has hit him several times. This is the premise for the laser course, defining the draw and developing speed.
We are working in conjunction with Sensi Jeff Sgarlata of Team One Krav Maga in Cicero, NY.. David Colburn together with Sensi Sgarlata are creating a virtual training program of self-defense scenarios, drills and strategies performed with Laser Pistols for safety and active training. This has never been seen or used here in Central New York. These courses build your confidence with respect to carrying and handling of your firearms as well as decision making in critical situations. These courses lead you to build confidence when carrying your live firearms as well as drive you back to Shooters Haven for out live-fire courses.
We also have several live-fire classes. these build on skills developed in the lecture and laser courses to further develop hand/eye coordination and decision making. We presently have Handgun as well as Shotgun and Rifle Courses available.
Private lessons for those of you looking for one on one training. As well as those looking to learn proper technique and develop a sound platform in self-awareness and your ability to defend yourself in a more personal private setting.
We have a vested interest in you attaining your pistol license and furthering your shooting experiences. Remember that of the 20 or so local instructors only 2 or 3 offer courses beyond the basic course so once you have completed their basic courses yuou have no where to go for more training.
Attorney’s are charging anywhere from $500-$3,000.00, we charge $200.00 for just cause letters. We want our students to be prepared, feel safe in their own homes and skin.
We are approved to teach the New York State Pistol Safety Course for Onondaga, Oswego, Jefferson, Madison, and Cortland Counties. Contact us for your NYS pistol safety course.
We are presently offering;
- NYS Basic Pistol Safety Course- 5 Counties.
- NRA Basic Pistol Course
- NRA Shotgun Course
- NRA Inside the Home Protection
- NRA Virtual Training Pistol Course
- NRA Defensive Pistol I, II and III Qualification Courses
- Multi-State Courses- NYS, Arizona, Florida and Utah courses.
- Conceal Carry Weapons I, II and III Courses
- Defensive Handgun Courses I and II
- Article 35 “Use of Force”
- Pepper Spray Courses
- Private lessons in Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun
- Tactical Pistol and Shotgun Courses- Day Course
All of these courses are presently active, if you do not see a course scheduled please ask!
Little known facts about your NYS Pistol License;
- All licenses in NYS are Concealed Carry, the difference is the restrictions placed by NY Courts.
- Your Pistol License is good in 27 states.
- When outside NY your Pistol license has no restrictions in states that accept your license.
- When adding a Multi-State Course to your NY license you will be able to Carry in approx. 38 states.
- Gun free signs carry no weight in law in NYS. Store policy does not supersede state law. You may carry even if a store does not want you to however if they ask you to leave you must.
- There are several applications for your phones that give you some of this information. The “CCW” app. is the best we have found.
More coming so keep us in your view!
Thank you and stay safe!
You will find our latest announcements to keep you up to date on what’s new and available. You can request to register for any course through our online form, and of course, don’t hesitate to contact on our training team should you have any questions at either 315-751-5559 or firstname.lastname@example.org.